Invisalign offer as many benefits and is often regarded as the best orthodontic treatment in many cases. While these invisible aligners are much easier to maintain than traditional metal braces, they still require proper care. Failing to clean them may cause them to get discolored. Worse, bacteria may build up and cause not only up odors but also ill effects on the health of your mouth.
Your dentist in Montreal will give you pointers on how to clean your clear aligners. But in case you forget, here’s a list of the most important tips on properly caring for your teeth aligners:
- Make it a habit to clean both your Invisalign trays and your teeth in the morning, very thoroughly. This is crucial because bacteria may build up on your clear aligners during the night while you sleep. Establishing this morning routine is important for your overall oral hygiene. Do this the night before you go to bed, too.
- Rinse your aligners whenever you remove them. This can help keep plaque as well as dried saliva from building up on your teeth aligners.
- Use the right cleaning products. Gently clean your Invisalign trays with a soft bristle brush and clear, anti-bacterial soap. Avoid using colored toothpaste or scented soaps as these can potentially leave residues on your invisible aligners and cause discoloration. They may also give your teeth aligners and unpleasant taste.
- Soak your Invisalign trays once a day. Keep your clear aligners looking and smelling great by soaking them in Invisalign cleaning crystals or in a denture cleaning solution. After this, use a soft bristle on the toothbrush—not the same one that you use to brush your teeth—to remove any food or plaque that may be caked on them. Rinse them and their ready to slip back into your mouth.
- Brush and floss before putting your clear aligners back in. It’s essential to keep your gums and teeth clean throughout your Invisalign treatment to prevent dental problems in the future. Always brush and floss—especially after eating—before you put your invisible aligners back in. This ensures that there are no food particles trapped inside the aligners and against your teeth which may lead to dental issues down the line.
- Store your trays properly. Put your clear aligners in that case that was provided with them when you’re not wearing them. Don’t leave it out in the open, as doing this can expose them to more bacteria buildup. Your Invisalign trays are also more prone to getting lost or damaged when you do this. Make it a point to take the case with you when you’re going out. Should you accidentally leave your teeth aligners out for a few hours, soak them as soon as possible and rinse them before popping them back in your mouth.
- Going on a trip? Plan accordingly. As you know, Invisalign treatment requires you to switch into new teeth aligners every few weeks. This is why it’s important to have some planning and foresight during the course of your treatment. If you plan on traveling for a long time and need to switch to a new set while you’re away, be sure to pack the new set and take it with you. This will prevent any disruptions in your Invisalign treatment.
- Avoid eating or drinking while your clear aligners are in your mouth. It’s OK to drink water while wearing your Invisalign trays, but for all other foods and drinks, you have to take them out. Keep in mind that invisible aligners are not designed for the pressure of eating. They can be stained and damaged if you chew with them on.
Do you have any more questions about how to properly care for your Invisalign trays? We can help. Feel free to talk to us or schedule an appointment in any of our clinics.